Dries Mertens, nicknamed “Ciro,” is a Belgian professional footballer who plays for Süper Lig club Galatasaray and the Belgium national team. Mertens grew up playing for Stade Leuven, Anderlecht, and Gent before making his debut in the Belgian Third Division on loan with Eendracht Aalst.
|Full Name||Dries Mertens|
|Celebrated name||Dries Mertens|
|Birth Date||6 May 1987|
|Birth Place||Leuven, Belgium|
|Age in 2022||35 Years|
|Brother (s)||Jeroen Mertens|
|Girlfriend (s) / Affairs||Katrin Kerkhofs|
|Wife / Spouse||Katrin Kerkhofs|
|Net Worth||$18 million|
Dries Mertens Biography
Dries Mertens was born on May 6, 1987, in Leuven, Belgium. Herman Mertens is his father’s name, and Marijke Mertens is his mother’s name. His father was a gymnast and a high school sports instructor. There is no information known concerning his mother’s professional background.
His parents were also huge football fans. They had always wanted to teach their kid the game of football. Jeroen Mertens is his brother. He grew up next to his brother, Jeroen Mertens. When he was nine years old, this football prodigy started his youth career with the local team K. Stade Leuven.
Dries Mertens Height, Weight
Dries Mertens has an excellent height of 5 ft. 7 inches and weighs typically 62 kg. Also, he has blackish hair and black eyes. There is no information on his chest-waist-hip measurements, dress size, shoe size, biceps, and so on.
- In late 1998, he joined Belgian club Anderlecht’s development system. The player played for the club’s different youth teams for five years, from early 1998 to 2003, however, he did not make it and decided to go to Gent. The next season, he moved on loan with Eendracht Aalst, where he made at least 14 appearances and scored four goals.
- In early 2006, he was loaned to AGOVV Apeldoorn, and the administration board decided to make an offer for the Player’s signature, which his parent Gent approved.
- He scored 15 goals in 38 appearances during the outstanding 2008/2009 season and was named Player of the Year, earning him the position of club captain.
- He extended his five-year contract with Eredivisie club Utrecht. Late in 2009, In addition, on August 16, 2009, he scored a brace against VVV-Venlo. After his first season, he was named the best player in Utrecht and was awarded ‘The Silver Boot’ by the legendary Royal Dutch Football Association.
- Dries has been a member of the Belgium national squad since early 2011.
- The Belgian joined Italian giants Napoli in early 2013. On May 13, 2014, Mertens was included to Marc Wilmots’ 23-man team for Belgium’s 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign in Brazil.
- Mertens also got his first brace for Belgium in their first qualifying match, scoring twice in three minutes in a 6-0 win against Andorra. The next year, he scored one goal and assisted on another in a 3-1 victory against Israel, ensuring Belgium’s top spot in their qualifying group.
THE FIFA WORLD CUP
- During Belgium’s qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, he scored five goals, including two in an 8-1 home win against Estonia on November 13, 2016. In addition, he played in Belgium’s competition team and scored in the country’s first game, a 3-0 triumph against Panama.
Dries Mertens’s Net Worth
Dries Mertens’ weekly pay at Napoli is roughly $165,000, with an annual salary of $8.6 million. Dries Mertens’ contract with the Italian club, however, terminated on July 1, 2022, and he is present without a club.
As of October 2023, The player’s net worth is believed to be $18 million, which he earned mostly via pay, incentives, and sponsorships. He is one of Belgium’s richest players and one of the top talents in Serie A.
Dries Mertens has a personal endorsement arrangement with Nike, as part of which he is compelled to wear their cleats for both club and national team matches.
Property And Cars
The player lives in Naples, Italy, with his wife and their child. He also owns high luxury vehicles such as a Ford Fairlane, an Opel Astra, a BMW, a Range Rover, and an Audi.
Dries Mertens Wife, Marriage, Children
Dries and Katrin are married to each other. They’ve been together since 2012 and have been dating. They haven’t revealed how they met, but we’re sure the moment they met was the finest moment of their lives. Both are quite busy with their jobs, yet they make time for each other, which is essential. They agreed to marry after respecting one other’s choices and cultures. Their wedding took place on June 27, 2015.
Katrin and Dries are the adored mother and father of their adorable little kid. In March 2022, they gave birth to their son. They were both overjoyed when they saw their new baby.
Awards & Achievement
- The most talent of the year in the Jupiler League: 2008/09
- Italian Super Cup: late 2014
- Dutch Cup winner: late 2011/12
- Italian cup winner: late 2014
- A team of the year: late 2017
- Dries Mertens (born 6 May 1987) is a Belgian professional footballer who plays as a striker or winger for the Italian club Napoli and the Belgium national team.
- Mertens joined Napoli in 2013, after playing for Gent and Eendracht Aalst in Belgium and AGOVV Apeldoorn, Utrecht, and PSV in the Netherlands.
- Mertens debuted for Belgium in 2011 and has since made more than 50 appearances for the national team.
- He also played for his country in the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 UEFA Euro.
- He was selected Belgian Footballer of the Year in 2016.